Just a brief update for today.
I posted on Facebook "Lest you or I think maybe Matthew really is the perfect child (he has been PERFECT so far) today playing Hi-O Cheerio with Stephen brought out the REAL 8 year old boy. Nothing terrible-- but wheww-- I saw some sibling rivalry for SURE!!! It reminded me he is normal-- and yes-- we will still working good sportsmanship for both of them!! :)"
Yes it is true. Today Stephen and Matthew/Dima had a wonderful morning. We started some basic school things. Starting basic with calendar skills, weather report, ABC chart, 1-20 chart and color chart. We then moved on to some handwriting practice (they both practiced writing their names 3x and then the each did an alphabet page from a workbook). They both did GREAT! I know Matthew will zoom past Stephen once he gets his English ABC's down and can read, but right now they are really at the same level. We do know he knows his math facts already. I am going to order him a Horizon Math book level 1. (Stephen will do K level). I am not going to use Math U see-- it is too much for him to listen to when he doesn't understand English.
We then moved on to play Hi-O Cheerio....and all was well till he had to empty his bucket of Cherry's out!! YIKES!! (Stephen had empties his numerous times and nothing was said by either party). The first time it was almost a "line" spin so I gave him the benefit of the doubt... but on the 2nd time it was clearly an "empty your basket" spin...and he was really mad/sad and NOT HAPPY..... it took a few minutes of CALM, KIND talking and he put his cherries back on the tree. After than he cheered LOUDLY when Stephen had to empty his..... It is interesting teaching "good sportsmanship" when you do not spin English very well. I stayed and monitored the remainder of the game and it was fine.
I have also noticed he is challenging Jason lately-- not sure why-- but he challenges everything Jason says. He was SOOOOOOO bonded with Jason in Ukraine and even on the plane, but Jason has been working longer hours than usual (there has been a mandatory 4 hour training thing after his normal 8 hour shift this week). It is an obvious challenge....and he and Jason need to get to an agreement with things SOON. (Please pray).
==============================================================
The pediatrician yesterday wanted Dima set up with a Physcial Therapy evaluation so when I called at around 3pm they asked if I could come in at 4:30 pm THAT evening. I said yes (should've said no-- it caused chaos in our family to rush around like that, I know better.....) IT went very well though. She was pretty happy with where he is. She of course is very concerned about how his is walking on his ankles. She is going to contact his SB clinic and PCP and see about getting him some orthopedics right away. We go back today and will continue Mondays and Fridays. I need to call our insurance and find out exactly what is covered.
When I called his SB clinic today about a few other issues.....they gave me the name and number of an organization they use to sometimes get a free wheelchair until yours is ready. The one we order for Matthew could be months down the road. So hopefully that will work out.
So my list of things to do for Matthew include:
Call Medical Assistance office (and pick up application)
Call Medical insurance and confirm PT benefits
Department of Motor Vechicles application for handicapped sticker.... he cannot walk very far with his walker right now.
School lessons
Potty training (we are all pretty sure he can be potty trained...he just was not) He has been able to tell me a few times when he has to go and he has gone on the potty!! It is like potty training any other child though-- I need to be VERY attentive.
Cancel his dental appointment-- I do not think he is ready? Pray about it but really not sure if that maybe TOO much.
No comments:
Post a Comment