Thursday, April 26, 2012

How did we get here?

I thought this would be a fitting first post...HOW DID WE GET HERE?  (on the road to special needs international adoption?

Well anyone who knows me in REAL LIFE-- KNOWS I have been smitten and in love with Verity and Katie....and what a story they both have... we have prayed , cried and laughed while following their story from the very beginning when Susanna was just pregnant with Verity.


Then 2 weeks ago (April 10, 2012) I was looking at the Reeces Raibow  site when I was CAPTURED by Laurel and her SMILE...  What moved me even more was how MOVED my son Joshua was... he referred to her as Laurel many times a day.
Actually we were all moved and we referred to Laurel many times a day....and "day dreamed" about bringing her HERE to live with us and join OUR family.... to be loved and cared for by US!!

Joshua however asked me repeatedly if he could use his bank account money to help pay for the adoption.. PLEASE--- he could help!!   

One day Joshua and I were out in public and we saw a girl in a wheel chair and with legs/feet just like what Laurels look like-- it was moving.... I so wanted to talk with her (she was older like Laurel) but I did not.  I do beleive she was even adopted as she was a different ethnicity than the older lady with her.  Normally I have to admit I would not have looked twice at that young lady-- but now I was DRAWN to her.... God was doing a work in my heart.   (and my families)

That night we began praying ferevently that Laurel WOULD find a HOME-- that she would be loved on and cared for.  That even now in the orphanage she would FEEL the Love of GOD, that she would be comforted by the Heavenly Father.   That she would find a home very very very soon.   After praying for her to find a home very soon-- Joshua piped up and said "Mom, you want Laurel to find a home.... I think your looking at them"!  

The next morning I woke up and opened my Bible and began reading Psalms (I RARELY open and just read, but today I did)..... I came to Psalm 142-- it TOUCHED my heart--- it was my CRY for Larurel.....

We began to talk and share-- could we do this-- could we adopt an OLDER special needs child?  We COULD LOVE her -- no doubt about that.   We even talked about turnning the down stairs school room into her room (or a girls room)-- we talked about many logistics-- and timing issues...and we commited to donate $1 a week to Laurel to help build her fund.   It was that day I also called RR to inquire-- ONLY to find out a family was sending in their paperwork THAT DAY..... 

TO which there was a bit of heart sickness-- but MUCH MUCH MORE rejoicing.   We had not even started the Home Study part of adoption (avg. 6 week process) and Laurel REALLY needed someone already homestudy approved to MOVE and GO GET HER SOON!!  (before she was moved to an adult mental institiution-- which makes me ILL-- she is not in any way mentally delayed-- that is HORRIBLE to even think about...)

So after a few days of rejoycing and gathering ourselves-- re realized-- we want to do this-- we want to EXPAND our growing family-- we want to bring home an orphan -- and make them a part of OUR FAMILY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment