Well we are in the midst of our required 10 DAY WAIT.
Some families choose to remain in country and continue daily visits with their child, and some return home to tie up lose ends, get final preparations ready for their child, and just come home to be with their children at home.
We returned home because our children NEEDED us to return home. We could tell-- the 2 weeks away from us was wearing on them, and wearing on their caregivers as well.
We returned home VERY late Saturday night. Sunday morning, no one knew we were home until they woke up-- boy were they surprised.
Jason and I were on the couch for quite awhile receiving our hugs and loves..... we did manage a break for breakfast. :)
My mom put a roast in the oven for dinner and then she left. The day is a bit of a blur-- but there was TONS of energy and TONS of excitement.
What I also remember very vividly is going to little Rachel's room to get her out of her crib and she did not even CRACK a smile-- she was almost just blank faced.... I did NOT like that-- so I took her over to daddy and she still had a poker face.... about 5 minutes in she lightened up. It was almost as if she had given up on us coming back for her. It broke my heart. By breakfast she was getting back to herself-- but wow-- that was so hard for me to see her go through.
The middle children were all excited and full of ENERGY-- more energy than I've seen in quite some time.
The older 2 were relieved to see us and hug us.....
I do not remember much of the afternoon but after nap time we went for a little hike. It was just beginning to be fall foliage.
The day was a bit crazy in excitement but it was to be expected.
Monday came and we had breakfast and then we headed to visit some friends in a nearby town. Our Nanny, was going to visit a little angel she had met in an orphanage last year-- but who was NOW HOME with her FOREVER family!! What an awesome meeting that was!!
While she visited and caught up with her new friend, I met with 2 friends as well.
We then returned home for dinner and it was at this time that Jason and I realized our kids were STILL in a CRAZY mode... it was unreal. They still had not settled down. It was a bit scary more than crazy.... they were really like in a car in overdrive that could not down shift.
By Tuesday morning Jason and I were asking each other, what in the world we were going to do-- our children were not themselves and we were a bit worried about (1) leaving them again and (2) bringing Matthew/Dima home to this craziness....
Later in the morning we took Joanna to a train station so she could take a train and visit another family in our state whom she knew previously and was very excited to visit. Once we had her settled in to the train station we began our drive home to run a few more errands. We were not 5 minutes away from the train station when all of a sudden the van grew quiet... they TOTALLY down shifted and calmed down.... it was like they could REST.... now... it was just "US". They were in overdrive or something...
They were fine the rest of the day-- not perfect but definitely not the crazy kids we had seen the 2 days before.
Today is Wednesday and I am HAPPY to report today was a "Normal Collins Family" day-- everything was totally our NORMAL DAY-- I loved it. It was not perfect. But it was our family-- my kids are back down to their normal selves. Little Nathan still needs a firm parent to help direct him at times, Rebekah needs reminded that fussing will NOT get her what she wants and well the other children were back to "normal".
I have many theories on why this happened... none of them REALLY matter enough to share here.... the main point is... they are back to normal now. We HAVE to go get our son and bring him HOME--- we will make this as quick of a trip as we possibly can. We are ALL (Jason & I, Joanna, my mother, the kids) going to keep our eye on the PRIZE-- BRINGING MATTHEW HOME SOON!! VERY SOON!!
I am of course working with the kids and helping them to be more prepared for this trip....hoping they will deal better with it and that maybe things can be a little less crazy and tense for all of them.
I cannot say enough about how THANKFUL and GRATEFUL I am for Joanna who has given up an entire MONTH of her time to come to our home and take care of our 6 children while we travel across the world to bring our son home. It was I'm sure a bit of culture shock to leave her home, and come to our area. She did a wonderful job, I know 1 little 5 year old boy that is very much infatuated with her and will be very sad when she leaves. :)
Joanna really does have a heart for the oprhans-- to see them in homes.... to help families in such a BIG BIG WAY..... To travel and help families, to travel and help in orphanages.... what a mighty work this young lady is doing.
I am also THANKFUL my mom came to help work out some logistics of managing our household. Somethings may have needed more attention than others--- some things may have been overkill-- but I am thankful that she was willing to come and help.
I am also so very thankful for our local friends who jumped in to help as well. We had 2 young ladies from our church come and help Joanna on a days my mom was out of town, we had a neighbor come also to help on 2 days. I am so grateful for them -- to take the time to care for and love on my kids while I was gone.
A few pictures I have borrowed/stole from Joanna's visit here (while we were away)
Looks peaceful, huh? Here is the real low down from Joanna :) Life with the Collins Family
UPDATED as today I found that Joanna had some more blog posts based on her time with our children.
The End
Things I do not want to forget
Sunny Day at the Park
Surviving
Take the First Step
When Kids are Bored


Catching up here, Denise, and so excited to read about all that God is doing. So amazing to me, esp. when I recall our conversation at the big picnic in May. :) God be praised.
ReplyDelete