The morning was full of me cleaning and re-arranging the school room. It looks so much better and there is now a nice table for two little boys to play. :)
The afternoon was taken up by a visit to the Social Security office to apply for Matthew's Social Security Number. It only took a little less than 2 hours!!
Then we headed to Matthew's first pediatrician's visit. Those who know me know, I haven't used a pediatrician since Josh was an infant, but with Matthew's needs I want someone who really understands children, and it just so happens after my consultation with this Dr. she and 1 other ped in that office have experience with SB, CP, and so forth...and they also have a good working relationship with the Hosptial where his Spina Bifida clinic will be.
There was a bit of drama this morning, they tried to call and cancel this appointment, they wanted to reschedule for the 30th!! I had to hold my ground, I really wanted him seen before that. (Typically children are to be seen by someone with in 48 hours or a few days of being home) so they called and moved another patient so we could be seen. THANKFULLY
The visit went wonderfully. He did understand "Doctor". He weighs 51 lbs 14 oz and is about 47 1/4" long!!
The doctor said QUITE a few times how impressed she was with him. She thinks his prognosis is REALLY REALLY good. And she agreed he does have feeling from mid calf UP. She tested his reflexes and they are good too. He has a some type of rash/ spots, we weren't sure if it was scabies, or lice or something, but she confirmed, that NO, it is just eczema from the change in enviornments (laundry det etc). So that was HUGE relief...so glad we don't have either of those 2 things going through all our children!!
She said that the "Para Rid" I am giving him sounds great (I had a pamphlet) even better than what she would've prescribed that would've only taken care of "eggs".... she still wants samples even know during his Para rid treatment (she is curious what we are getting rid of.... ewwwww I know-- but she wants to see the difference at the end too). I was just happy she didn't think I was crazy for using it.
She again and again said how good he was (medically) and she tested his reflexes and said-- really had he been born in the United States he would be walking unassisted she is SURE... (not gracefully though) :)
While in the waiting room, the office of his SB Clinic called.... I was THRILLED!! She said that she was so thankful we sent them this video:
And after seeing it, they do NOT want to wait for the "Perfect date" which she was trying to find to schedule 5-6 doctors to see him in 1 day... that no indeed after seeing this video the Orthopedist wants to see him "soon". So Mid December we have an appointment and she is going to try to fit us into a urologist appt that same morning if she can. I think this is AWESOME!! Because I really think as much as getting this appointment done in 1 day with 5-6 doctors-- that is a LONG day for a little guy!! One or two doctors a day will be PLENTY!
=====================================================================
Our family says "Grace" before every meal. Our children know to wait for prayer (usually) before eating. Matthew of course, does not know anything about this-- and with our limited communication, I have NOT made any deal of it-- when he understands more, I'm sure he will wait and join in the prayer with us..... well today Stephen asked me "Mom, will Dima ever pray with us?" I said "Of course, once he understands, right now he doesn't understand".
Well today I was putting Dima into his booster seat...and he said to me "Thank you for this day, Amen"!! It was SOOO cute!!!! Perfect English!!
Well I thought that was the best part of the day-- no-- he beat that-- while I was helping him on with his PJ's he said "I love you, I love you, I love you" I thought he was telling me He loved me---- NOOOOOO he wasn't because then he went on to say "I love you Stephen, goodnight, I love you Nathan, goodnight, I love you Dima, goodnight". (that is what I do after bedtime prayers EVERY night.... and he loves it--- (Poor little love may have never heard those words ever, and to be told that all day and every night-- he LOVES IT!!)
I've enjoyed reading all of your posts on FB, Denise ~ some have brought tears.. This was one of them. Must melt your heart to hear him say a prayer in perfect English & his "I love you"s.. Oh, my goodness. Just warms the heart. Thanks so much for sharing your journey.. I really can't wait to meet him but will wait until you think it's best for you all & especially Matthew/Dima! love ya, m
ReplyDeleteCried my way through this one, too, Denise! He was just waiting for you and Jason and his new brothers and sisters. So precious!
ReplyDeleteI love it that you're experiencing what I've tried so hard and so long to communicate. The special needs do NOT define our children! They are just human beings, our children, with their own personalities just like all our other children!